Monday, March 21, 2011

lady-roars, 7

^ Arhia Kohlmoos ~ ~ ~

!!! welcome to lady-roars, 7 !!! 
i initiated freeform conversation with fellow women creators about art, identity, and whatever else.

~ ~ ~


I believe personal transformation can result from the interaction between an individual and an art object. Within each of my paintings, I strive to create an arena for the occurrence of such a metamorphosis. ◉ Symbolism and narrative are important devices in my pictures; through their use, I try to build a personal mythology with which the viewer can connect. ◉ My art arises from the conviction that visual beauty is a positive force in our world. Rich color, intricate pattern, high-quality materials, and time-consuming details are the tools I employ to communicate this belief.

~ ~ ~

I am absolutely certain that I want to continue painting throughout my life. I know this because of how I feel when I don't paint; when I don't paint, I begin to lose substance... as if I were turning into a ghost, becoming indistinct, dissolving, melting away like snow. When I do not paint, I begin to wonder what makes my presence in this world matter. I feel that my place could be filled just as sufficiently by anyone at all, and that I contribute nothing of unique worth to the lives of my fellow beings. These intuitions terrify me ... and the terror returns me to my paints.

~ ~ ~

For reasons that I do not yet fully understand, I have always shied away from calling myself as an "artist." Possibly this has to do with a general perception in modern Western culture of "the artist" as both insane and magical; as someone who is defined by otherness. I have never felt alright about this perception, because: a) in my experience everyone is the same amount of crazy ... and, b) there is nothing less magical about crunching numbers or serving food for a living than there is about making paintings. I find myself drawn to the Medieval view of the painter as just another craftsman--- just another necessary yet perfectly normal part of society. So in the end ... I suppose I do identify as a creator/artist, but I shun the ream of connotations that come with claiming that identity.

~ ~ ~

Concerning "where I am now" and "where I am headed," honestly, I have no clue! I do know that graduate school has been a good thing for me. When I can observe progress (aka deeper concepts more skillfully communicated) from one painting to the next, I feel I am on the right path. I am fond of daydreaming about a life in which I earn $ for just painting ... but I am aware of the rarity of such a life. In the end, I simply wish to always be painting; therefore I must find a way of bringing in cash (I guess one could say, a "job!") that leaves me lots of free time.

~ ~ ~

The people in my life have almost always, across the board, been supportive of my chosen "career" (I use that word with lots of hope!!!). The way I grew up, with an entire family of makers and no school to distract me from drawing, basically guaranteed an existence enveloped in support. I know that is not always the case for those who wish to "do art"; I've been extremely fortunate. I think the environment I grew up in has something to do with my previously expressed hesitations to identify as "an artist." In the
place I come from, everyone made things. There was nothing insane or magical about it.


FOR MY 1st FULL LENGTH ARTIST'S INTERVIEW WITH PAINTER, ARHIA KOHLMOOS, 
CLICK HERE

ARHIA'S SITE




No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Archives: February-June 2017

in this blog article, i share my personal creative work since  SOUL SEED GATHERING  in Guatemala this past February 2017, and through early...