Wednesday, July 14, 2010

artist's interview: STACI HINRICHS

the queen herself



belly art by Staci



May Pole Party



the boys ~ "They lived in my body."



"I used to live in this body."



"Now I live love in this one."



let the beauty we love be what we do


Born Staci Yvonne Ufford. Grew up in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I've been a tap dancer, an Avon lady, a school bus driver, an artist, a student,a professional ice skater, a waitress, an office manager, a model, a telemarketer, sold shoes, cleaned houses, counted cars, I'm a momma, a wife, a girlfriend.

I've lived in Minnesota, Arizona, Colorado, my camper, Mexico, China, Japan, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, St. Marten, and currently live in Menasha, Wisconsin.


Been married 13 years, have 2 boys ~
Max 9, Sam 7. We currently have a dog, a cat, and 26 tadpoles.


1. Mrs. Hinrichs, i am so blessed to have met you a handful of years ago while we both worked at The Red Radish Natural Foods in Neenah, Wisconsin. right off the bat, you asked me questions, laughed in my face, loved my food, and wiggled your sweet fanny all up in my business. name the top 11 reasons why you know yourself to be a fierce super-goddess.

1. my boobs
2. my belly
3. my heart
4. my creativity
5. my tears
6. my wisdom
7. my children

8. my compassion
9. my love
10. my joy
11. my life
12. my hugs
13. my laughter


2. i will never forget something you said to me. you said something along the lines of, “you know, there just came a time when i couldn’t run from my shit anymore. i was like ... 29 ... and things had to change.” i have thought of this proclamation a lot, because i feel myself going through my own comparable dealings-with. let’s talk about what changed for you at this point in your life. what came?

aaahhh ... i think it happens and happens - over and over - but at that age it was a matter of literally staying still for awhile ... i had been traveling since i was 17... it was time to stop so that i could get uncomfortable and work thru the stuff i didn't want to deal with. you know, family relationships, loneliness, who am i when i stop moving?? who am i when i stop playing the part of skater, party girl, sex object, and who am i really as a daughter, a friend, a sister, a lover. that's scary shit ~ i knew i wasn't going to like some of the things i saw in myself and that sucks ~ but, then. there i was. i saw me.

3. how old are you? how’s your house, garden, Juliet the cat, your boys, Spike? ... life in general? you diggin summer?

I'm 44 (11x4) ~ my house is falling apart and makes me not want to be a grown up. garden is looking lovely and simple this year - although the garlic is a little wimpy. Juliet (cat!) is strong and wise, my boys are so incredibly funny and smart and infuriating ~ i love them so big it hurts :) Spike ... my love, my friend, my target, my partner ~ we're still doing our thing and it amazes me every time we get thru something ugly ... but we do. and that's ... what we do. life in general is such a lovely ride ... i'm glad to have been alive long enough that i realize the fleeting nature of it all. i try to remember there's value in all of it but i often forget. ... pain is pain is pain. i think the key is to have some magical folks around to actually say it outloud when you're in it ~

"THIS IS GOOD! THIS IS TEMORARY!"

am i diggin summer? i am ~ i love not having a schedule for my kids and i ... we do better just livin as it comes ... i'm still trying to decide if formal school has value ... i waffle on this regularly.

4. so, like ... you are a bubbly, fashionable, super-hip momma. let’s talk about the importance of self-love, women friends, women healers, women creators, and all the pulls of spirit that lead us home again and again.

self-love ... still striving. i catch glimpses tho, and it is sooo lovely. women friends ~ so important to see the beauty in each other ~ we soooo need to reflect back to each other. i keep avoiding this question because i think at my age and where i am in my life, that i should have so much more to say ... i can say that in my experience women bring out the best ~ recognize the best in me, but they can also cut me to the quick more than i can stand ... women healers ... i know many and they are lovely strong women that i respect but have not spent the $ to engage them much and find myself thinking i can not give in return, but this has to do with a fear and inability to realize that i deserve this shared energy ... i deserve to receive (and give) this healing ~ i have also been thinking, tho ... that just being around beautiful women is healing ~ !!!

5. do you know you inspire me? cuz you do! ... what’s your favorite fruit? favorite thrift store find of all time? and what words of advice do you have for women coming into their own?


fruit ~ guanabana

thrift find ~ huge rose quartz ring

ooohh advice ~ what pressure ~ here’s my advice - look for love and find it! wherever it is ~ partners, children, friends, family ... wherever it is for you ... be true. don't love or give yourself to anyone out of obligation ... be true ... don't expect any ~one~ person to give it all to you ~ it's everywhere ... find it. accept it. that's all.

6. art. your art images are incredible. your body is at the center of it all. i relate to this. for you, what has your relationship with your body been like recently? what was it like in the past? is your body your best friend yet?

recently we've been bonding ... in a new way actually ... this time i'm being kind and appreciative and calm ... what a concept ... in the past ~ non-existent, volatile, abusive, sad, controlling, manipulative-ugh. HONESTLY- my body is not my best friend ... will it ever be? i don't know ... i hope so ... we have our moments ...

7. what does your happiness taste like? what does your happiness feel like? why are karaoke parties important?

yesterday it tasted like Nutella, today it tastes like watermelon ... happiness feels like your best friend is brushing your hair and you get that tingly yummy feeling in your tummy! i think happiness is not something i strive to achieve anymore ... it is something i try to remember to embrace, in the moment whenever i can. karaoke ~ expression baby! expression! we all need to let our inner Joan Baez or Joan Jett out!

8. is there a place or an event you’d especially like to experience for the sake of your own growth and inspiration? do ladybugs ever talk to you? what’s your favorite flower? who do you love?


*** event hmmmm ... no, but ~ ladybugs ~ Sammy thinks the Menasha Library smells like them! *** flower = gardenia ~ love ... love ... love ... who do i not love? ... i'm trying to love as much as i can ... i lost my way for awhile (and i will again) but my focus is back on loving ... with the help of an old friend the Dalai Lama ... he inspires me so ... i'd like to see my friend Julie deliver a baby ... i had 2 C-sections and i've got some work to do with that ...

9. what’s this new tattoo you’re working on with Bear???!!!


oh just a little something fabulous that will adorn me soonly ... i think ... you will be in there and Nick i think too (?!...)

10. if i gave you $11,111 as a gift ... you would do what with it?

fun answer- get pedicures once a month for a long time, get 3 tattoos, get horseback riding lessons for Sammy, Karate lessons for Max, fix up the basement to include a studio for ME!

11. in closing, please share with we curious readers your best advice for living a long, healthy, and very enjoyable life. i love you!


find joy, don't fight with yourself too much, live BIG, sit still, go to therapy, spend one day a week telling yourself you're a hotty even if you don't believe it at the time, sing karaoke, dance, pee outside sometimes, have friends that will pee outside with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Archives: February-June 2017

in this blog article, i share my personal creative work since  SOUL SEED GATHERING  in Guatemala this past February 2017, and through early...